Commercial trucking accidents often lead to more serious injuries than standard car accidents. These vehicles are mammoth machines and cause devastating results, especially in crashes with your average commuter car.
People who have been injured in a commercial trucking accident in New Jersey don’t need to prove the severity of the injury in order to make a claim against a commercial policy. With this in mind, you may be able to file a legal claim if you have had the misfortune of being in an accident.
7 Factors of Commercial Trucking Accidents
Many factors can contribute to an accident with a commercial truck. They include:
- Driver fatigue. Deadlines and management can force the drivers to go extended periods of time without sleep. This can result in falling asleep behind the wheel.
- Inattentive driving. This occurs when a driver is coasting without properly watching the road due to zoning out or getting too comfortable.
- Texting while driving. If a person is staring at their phone, they’re not seeing the road ahead of them. End of discussion.
- Following too close. Trucks can’t stop as quickly as cars and other smaller vehicles, so following too close can lead to terrible damage if the automobile ahead of the truck stops abruptly.
- Speeding. This relates to #4 in that going too fast will make it extremely difficult for a large truck to stop quickly enough to avoid an accident.
- Failure to observe traffic control devices
- Failure to enforce policies with respect to sleep and hours of operation of commercial vehicles
Ensuring You Get the Treatment You Need
Often, accidents with commercial trucks cause very serious injuries, such as spinal cord injuries and traumatic brain injuries. These injuries can require extensive medical treatment, therapy, and home modifications. We will do everything in our power to ensure that you receive the treatment you need to make a strong recovery.
This article should not be taken as legal advice. If you or a loved one has been injured in a crash with a truck or commercial vehicle, you may be entitled to financial compensation. If you’re in New Jersey and seeking legal assistance, we can help you.
Brenner Spiller & Archer is a New Jersey law firm that is prepared to take action against commercial trucking companies whose employees or policies are negligent. For more than 35 years, our attorneys have been committed to pursuing the highest possible settlement for clients throughout Central and South Jersey.